Sunday, August 29, 2010

5 peaks and 14 Hours later





About 11 hours into my hike not even the power of my newly discovered chia seeds could generate enough energy for my legs to competently negotiate the well over one mile steep downhill required to get back to the Zealand hut.... And, both Ralph and I kind of figured that once we did arrive, there would be no room at the inn for us, meaning an additional 1 1/2 hour hike in the dark down to the car .... Each step downward would pound my legs joints so powerfully that my muscles began a weeble-like wobble that threatened to take me down, like a lion jumping a wildebeest, onto the large, hard and jagged rocks.. I needed to negotiate a safe return to the hut but my legs were threatening otherwise.... Now this may seem a little dramatic, but this terrain was steep,never-ending and booby-trapped with rocks so large, a mistake could easily lead to a break or serious damage of a bone..... Walking straight ahead on flat surface.. ok, any need to navagate, not so much. Problem was that flat surface didn't exist now... Que in cruise control.. the mind takes over where the body begins faltering




The hike to the Bonds is special, and most times getting to precious places is not easy, it takes hard preparation, be it mentally or physically, .... This hike took me thru some of the most beautiful places on earth.. no exaggeration...But it was the feeding of the will to visit these places that bring you to them... I'm finding the secret of personal endurance to be more mental than it is physical.... You have to push yourself to places that before hand, seemed not possible... Training of the mind is a healthy thing....Upon entering the Pemigewasset Wilderness in route to The Bonds there is a sign that reads: "Please treat this special place with care and respect".... I plan to do just that, care and respect the places I visit and care and respect the body and mind that get me there.












No comments:

Post a Comment