Friday, August 13, 2010

You Gotta Run


I am beginning to get it. Unless you are ultra-elite, you run not to knock the snot out of your opponent or to prove your manhood to the world.. You lace up the shoes (or foot pods) to conquer two inanimate objects: 1 is a clock and 2 is your mind. You set a goal, which has only to do with time and space, using only the all-mighty voice inside your head, that drive your body further and further toward things you set to accomplish.

Last night I ran a huge road race in Manchester, almost 6,000 participants. I started with 10 folks, some I knew, some I just met for the first time. We were all of different ages and varying running abilities. We individually finished at different times.... However to a man/woman we were all jubilant in our personal victories, each exceeding our goals for the race... We beat the snot and piss out of our expectations and in turn posted a victory for that voice residing in our heads.

After years of competitive sports, which included inventing any ridiculous excuse under the sun for any loss.. the refs sucked, the ball was dead, the lighting was horrendous, etc, etc.. I think I am beginning to get the attraction to running.. The premise is quite simple.. it's you against the always ticking beat of a clock and you get to set the rules regarding victory and defeat... It's that simple.. I get it, I fucking get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment